Shopping Like It Oughta Be ... Since 1978
If you are not familiar with our store, you may find it odd that we identify ourselves as a a "World Famous"-
"TEXAS Sized Gift Shop". Well, we were not always world famous or Texas sized.
When our store first opened in San Marcos in 1978, we focused on handmade items and
antiques. Most items were from regional artists and craftsmen. In fact, the store had a very
strong focus on "artworks" that are made "from the Heart" -- thus the name: Heartworks Co.
In 1978, San Marcos was small community without many very large stores, and thus offerred a limited selection
of locally available products. As people visited the store, they often asked if we
carried certains kinds of products, and if we didn't, could we. As a result of this interaction with
our customers, to the extent that we were able, we added a number of different products; and in doing so,
we developed a very eclectic inventory of products.
As we kept adding different kinds of products, we kept using up store space. In 1984 the Western Auto
Store closed and we had the chance
to lease that space across the street on LBJ (Lyndon Baines Johnson attended Southwest Texas State
University in San Marcos -- thus the name). Because we retained the original store, and stocked
this new space with a large selection of cards, stationary, journals, albums, and similar paper products,
it became "Paper Bear". We then relocated the original store to the new space and adopted our current name:
Heartworks Co./Paper Bear. In 1988, we again had the chance to increase our retail space by leasing
the space occupied by the current store at 218 North LBJ Drive. We leased the space (an old Ben Franklin
store), added more products and became a "Texas Sized Gift Shop". Over the years, our customer base has
grown. Many customers are former Texas State University students, or their family members, or their friends.
Many have relocated all over the world; however, we are very fortunate that a large number of them find
their way back to the store to shop, and that they often tell us that we are unlike most other stores that
they frequent. Thus, they suggested that we had become "world famous"!
When the "Great Recession" developed a few years ago, we decided that we needed to "rightsize" the store so we consolidated it
into our current operating space. Since survival often demands adaptation to new conditions, we adapted to these changes by changing
our product "mix" to conform to what our customers most wanted, and by increasing our "unusual" products that are not easily found at
more conventional "big box" stores. As always, we are strongly influenced by our customer's requests for products that are not readily available locally.
Heartworks Co./ Paper Bear has always been an "alternative" store that offers a wide selection
of very affordable products that are unusual. This is clearly reflected
in the product selection and value we offer today. We hope that you will visit us very soon .. and that you will
enjoy your shopping experience with us.
TOYS, GAMES, BOOKS, POSTERS
- Tiny Toys - over 200 jars with $0.05 to $1.00 toys
- Shells, Rocks, and Fossils
- Hacky Sacks
- Gag Gifts: Poop, Stink Bombs, Shock Items, Blue Candy, etc.
- Dominoes: Spinner, Mexican, Chicken Foot, etc. (Great Prices!)
- Playing Cards (Kem cards, Tarot, ...)
- Dice of all kinds (Farkle, LCR, 3D)
- Puzzles, Floor Puzzles, and Accessories (Mystery Puzzles available
- Posters (murals, prints, vintage reproductions)
- PVC Characters (from almost any cartoon): Smurfs, Looney Toons, Sesame St.
- Ink Stamps and supplies
- Children's Books for all ages (educational, coloring, sticker, tattoo, stencils, origami, crossword, joke, ...
- Sea Monkeys, Ant Farms
- Stuffed Animals (Ty, Gund,...): Ugly Dolls, Sock Monkeys, Body Puppets
- Board Games - traditional and unique: Pente, GO, Scrabble (Deluxe), etc.
- Travel Toys, Water Toys, Juggling, Gyro Rings
- Marbles of all shapes and sizes
- Educational items (posters, games, sciences)
- Thomas the Train
- Raggedy Ann and Andy Dolls
- Wind Up Toys
- Tin Toys: Robots, Cars, and Airplanes
- Model Airplanes (nostalgia, balsa wood)
- Hello Kitty
- Glow in Dark items
- Kit Kat Clock
- Slinky, Pick-Up Sticks, Jacks, Silly Straws and more nostalic toys
- Magic items and supplies
- Costume accessories available all year, just ask ...
- Paint Sticks (for face painting)
- Rody and Hop!
- Melissa and Doug products
- Bug or Shell Bracelets, Keychains, and Necklaces
- PLASMA Cars
- Sterling silver rings and bands for men and women
- Sterling silver pendants, bracelets, earrings, toe rings, anklets, ear cuffs, neck wires, etc.
- Sterling Silver charms - about 1500 designs to choose from at very good prices!
- Sterling Silver charm bracelets
- Gold filled charms and charm bracelets
- Original In-House designs
- Leather bracelets and bags - fun designs with flowers and animals
- Astrology Pendants - Specially designed for your sign with semi-precious stone beads that are
beneficial to your sign (includes info sheet)
- Belly Dancing jewelry and accessories
- Jewelry from Nepal, India, China, Peru, Turkey, Afghanistan,Mexico,...
- Egyptian and Celtic Designs
- Featured Work by several Texas artists
- Texas Themed Jewelry -- Sterling Silver and Costume
- Saints pendants and bracelets, rosaries, crosses, and other religious pieces
- Semi-precious stones set in silver --Amber, Opals, Pearls, Moonstones, Amethysts, Citrine, Malachite, Iolite,
Clear Quartz, Garnet, Black Onyx, Ocean Jasper, Coral, Mother of Pearl, Blue Topaz
- Costume/Fashion Jewelry - a large selection
- Beads, findings, tools, and instructions and/or help to make, restring, or repair your own jewelry
- The BEAD BAR -- We can make your personally designed necklace, pendant, and earrings for you, or we'll be happy
to help you make it yourself !!!
- Mannequins, jewelry displays, and dress forms
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
- Embroidered, beaded, sequined dresses, blouses, skirts, pants, kurtas, ponchos, sarongs,
and kaftans from India, Tibet, Guatemala, Mexico, China, ...
- Shirts and pants for guys, too!
- Featuring "MAGIC SKIRTS" (skirt, top, dress all-in-one), and "MAGIC DRESSES" (one size fits
- Purses, bags,backpacks, coin purses, wallets, hats, and scarves ... mostly imported and many made
of fun, interesting (and recycled) materials
- Water Buffalo Sandals, Mukluks, Chinese wooden sandals, ...
GREETING CARDS, JOURNALS, NOTES
- Handmade Cards, Quotable Cards, Weiner Dog, Tickelopes, Laughing Elephant, Papaya, Sierra Club,
Recycled Paper, Blue Mountain, Avanti, Leaning Tree, Popshots, "Year of Birth" cards, Pomegranate, ...
- Boxed Cards and Stationary
- Notepads, Sticky Notes, Address Books, Birthday Books,Planners, Calendars, Journals,
Guest Books, Mousepads
- Baby Albums, Wedding Albums, Anniversary Albums
- Sealing Wax and Seals
- Pocket Tokens
- Book Marks
- Knowledge Cards
- Punch Studio, Paper Blanks, Unemployed Philosopher Guild, Knock Knock
CANDY & FUN
- Sweet Shop Truffles
- Nostalgic Candies (Packaged and Bulk Jars)
- Rock Candy, Candy Dots, Pez, Neccos, Kits, Jujufruits, Chick-O-Stick, McCraws, Old Fashioned Taffy
- Giant Jawbreakers, Armadillo Droppings, and Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds
- Magnets and Buttons (funny, nostalgic, and contemporary)
- Magnetic Picture Framess
- Decorated Bandages, Toothpick Birds, Flip Books, Key Covers, ...
- Beer Bands, Grow Items, Designer Hankies, Luggage Tags, ...
- Wacky Wobblers
- Over the Hill Gifts
- Dog and Cat Gifts
- Texas Music and Musicians CD's
- Putumayo World Music CD's
- Aprons, Hot Pads, and Kitchen Mitts, ...
TEXAS SOUVENIRS & DECORATIONS
- Magnets, mugs, stickers, T-shirts, and many other souvenir items
- Recipe Books and Aprons
- UT and A&M collectibles
- Costume and Sterling Silver Jewelry
- Texas Music CD's
- Metalwork: Texas Star, Armadillo. Horney Toad, Coat Racks, ...
- Framed Texas Memorabilia ("Come and Get It", etc.)
- Day of the Dead Items
- Sugar Skull Molds and Accessories
- Wooden Sugar Molds (use as candle holder for table decoration)
- Metal Art, Pottery, Pictures, Lanterns, Boxes, etc.
- Luche Libra, Freida, Loteria items
SCENT, BATH & RELATED PRODUCTS
- Incense: Sticks, Cones and Holders
- Scent Beads "those little smelly beads" -- great for the car
- Candles: Root, Trapp, Beanpod, WoodWick, Aspen Bay, Windsor Bay, Drip candles
- La Te Da Lamps and Fragrances
- Perfume Oils: Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Ambrosia (our best seller), etc.
- Essential Oils
- Fragrance Oils for tea light candles
- Himalayan Salt Lamps
- Soap/Bath Products: Bee & Flower, BlueQ, Pre de Provence, Dr. Bronner, Herbal Soaps, ...
- Aromatherapy and Herbal soaks
- Burt's Bees
- Camille Beckman
- Foot & Hand Cremes
- Eye Masks, Body Wraps, Sleep Masks
- Head & Body Massagers
- Back Scratchers
HOME & GARDEN
- Wind Chimes: Music of the Spheres (Austin), Corinthian Chimes, Arias Chimes, Carson Chimes, ...
- Crosses: McHarp (celtic), Carson, Wooden crosses by Jay Humbert (Taylor), Texas Fossil Rock crosses,
and bookends by Billy Woods, Natural Stone and Stain Glass crosses by R.A. Bowie, Brightly painted crosses from Mexico
-- Milagro, Bottle Caps, and Inlaid Tile ...
- Whimsical Stain Glass from Stone House Gallery (Austin)
- Wall Plaques & Decorations
- Mirrors, Tin Signs, Plate stands & easels
- Buddha figures, masks and statues
- Lucky Cat Statues, Money Frogs
- Shells and Seaside Decorations
- Tapestries and Bed Spreads from India
- Wine Lights and Wine accessories
- Coca-Cola, Elvis Presley, Betty Boop, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean,
I Love Lucy, Peanuts, Wonder Woman, Superman, Grateful Dead, Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones,
John Wayne, Roy Rogers, Wizard of Oz, Muhammad Ali, Star Trek, ...
- Clay Planet Designs - fish by Mike Quinn
- Cats, Dogs, Chickens, Mermaids, Fish, Frogs, Turtles, Dolphins, Birds, Owls,
Butterflies, Lady Bugs, Elephants, Monkeys, Giraffes, ...
- Angels, Fairies, Mermaids, Dragons
- Night Fairies, Flower Fairies, and Amy Brown Fairy Divas
- Seraphim Angels
- Precious Moments
- Trail of Painted Ponies
- Birthday Girls by Joseph Originals
- Clayworks by Heather Goldminc
- Maud Humphrey Collectibles
- Willow Tree by Demdaco, Kelly Rae Roberts Collection, and Curly Girl Design
- Amia Stained Glass
- Ribbon, Tissue, & Gift Bags
- Assort Gift Wrap in sheets and rolls
- Butcher type paper in colors
- Department 56 -- Dickens Village, Christmas in the City Village,
North Pole Village, Snowbabies, ... All On Sale at 50% Off
- Fontanini Nativity items and sets by Roman, Inc.
- Christmas Trees on Sale at 25% Off